Monday, November 12, 2007

Falling out of love with a love song

When I first heard Mitwa, on the Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna album, I listened to it over and over again to understand why it was so haunting. Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy had last constructed songs so meaningful many years ago with Dil Chahta Hai, so this was a seriously welcome return to music that lasted. The song's opening, a delicate strum, wasn't new for the instrument - you hear beautiful guitar openings so often these days, few more evocative than Thakshak's Khamosh Raat - but the rise and fall in key as a musician barely plucked at strings slowly and deliberately, conveyed the message that matters of love can indeed be quite delicate. A female chorus rose then, singing in the voice of angels, "Love will find a way..."

I understood this much later, for upon hearing this song for the very first time, the words that registered in my head were, "Love me. Find a way..." I fell for these words more than the song, taking them to be a lover's plea to choose her over the other until a hunger had been sated. Frankly, it was magnificent. It was one man's wife telling another man to love her, and she didn't care how he did it. Alas, this impression of the lyrics was crushed one morning, and I was left with "love will find a way...", which is good advice for those without a plan, but not very encouraging for the realistic.

Update: Wife says "until a hunger had been sated" reads like a terrible line from M&B. I am inclined to agree, as all good husbands do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with hunger being sated. All good husbands should sate hunger.

Unknown said...

So should wives.

Anonymous said...

Finally I find someone who loves Khamosh Raat too. I think that's one of the most under-appreciated film songs of all time.

Praveen said...

khamosh raat...gr8 to see one of my all time fav songs mentioned by someone else...cos i've never heard anyone telling me about this song...as said in the above comment...under rated

sruthijith said...

You are not alone in such discoveries.. :)

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~wilkins/writing/Resources/essays/mondegreens.html

http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/carroll/mondegreens.shtml