Friday, April 29, 2005

Finding a book

My book had arrived at Strand, and I had rushed there to claim it before anybody else bought it. "The Granta Book of India" was handed over with a smile, for I had called twice to check if the copy was still unsold, and I was quite relieved to have finally acquired it. Then, at eight, the keepers downed the shutter, signaling it was time to go. My mood lifted so much, not even the stifling humidity could affect it.

There is great satisfaction in finding a book.

2 comments:

Soultan of Swing said...

Rahul,
Would u recommend Granta:57?
Amazon still has "Granta book of India" on pre-release (till Sep 2005!!!) :(!

Rahul Bhatia said...

Yes! I'm ordering that copy next week. There's some really good writing in there. I haven't read the book, but have read some of the essays. Dalrymple's 'caste wars' is really good.
Here, check this out:
click

The book of India has been out here for months now... It's a decent read, though slightly inconsistent.